Dr. Raul Muñoz, Coordinator of the European consortium of STRAUSS, participated in the Stakeholders Consultation Workshop - Network Technologies Work Programme 2016-2017 in Brussels on 29-30 September 2014 with the presentation "Extending SDN and NFV to Transport Networks" on behalf of the Converged and Optical Networks (CAON) cluster.
This workshop brought together renowned experts and stakeholders to refine ideas for future Network Technologies and Internet of Things (IoT) research and innovation that could be part of the Horizon 2020 Work Programme 2016-2017.
The two-day workshop was organised in plenary and break-out parallel sessions on the following six themes:
- Radio (architecture, technologies, mm-waves)
- Network management (security, big data for network management, energy efficiency)
- Internet of Things (IoT)
- Optical technologies (core, access)
- Experiments, test beds and demonstrations (5G focus)
- SDN/NFV/Internet architectures
The final session reports and session slides are available for download here.
The 5th EU-Japan Symposium in ICT Research and Innovation was held in Brussels on the 16th and 17th of October 2014. This event was co-organised by the Japan's Ministry of Internal affairs and Communications (IC) the Japan's National Institute for Information and Communication Technology (NICT) and the European Commission (EC).
This symposium was opened by Mr. Toshiyuki Takei, Director General of MIC, Mr. Masao Sakauchi, President of NICT and Mr. Zoran Stancic, Deputy Director General of DG CONNECT, and the keynote speeches from high-level officials both from the EU and Japan took place.
Presentations of running joint EU-Japan projects were given, followed by a consultation workshop which explored R&I cooperation opportunities with a number of priority themes both for the EU and Japan. The presentation of STRAUSS project was entitled "STRAUSS Year1 Project Results" and was given by Prof. Ken-ichi Kitayama, JP Coordinator, and Dr. Raul Muñoz, EU coordinator. Both Coordinators also participated in the working sessions on EU-Japan future collaboration opportunities and interests in ICT research and innovation in the topic of 5G and Testbed.
The first project review of STRAUSS was held in Brussels (Belgium), on July 1st 2014. The review pannel was composed of experts from both EU and Japan. The Reviewers stated that the results achieved so far are of high quality and well recognized. The overall assessment of the project is Excellent progress (the project has fully achieved its objectives and technical goals for the period and has even exceeded expectations). This amazing result recognizes the huge work done in the first year, but also at the same time, motivates us to keep or even increase the high level of activites and results for this second year.
The third plenary meeting of STRAUSS was collocated with the first review meeting. It was held in the Telefonica premises in Brussels, on July 2-3 2014. It was a very successful event to strengthen the collaboration between European and Japanese partners. We had the opportunity to discuss and define some joint experimental activities, targeting at Optical Fiber Conference (OFC 2015) that will be held in Los Angeles, in march 2015.
2 regular papers has been presented (oral presentation) at the European Conference on Networks and Communications (EUCNC 2014), held in Bologna (Italy), on 23-26 June 2014. These two papers are position papers from WP2 and WP3 involving all EU and Japanese partners, and provide an general overview of the activites, preliminary designs, last results and achievements carried out in the STRAUSS project.
- R. Muñoz, R. Vilalta, R.Casellas, R. Martínez, L. M. Contreras, V. López, J.P. Fernández-Palacios, O. González de Dios, S. Peng, M. Channegowda, R. Nejabati, D. Simeonidou, X. Cao, N. Yoshikane, T. Tsuritani, A. Autenrieth, M. Schlosser, "Network Virtualization, Control Plane and Service Orchestration of the ICT STRAUSS Project", in Proc. European Conference on Networks and Communications (EUCNC), June 23-26 2014, Bologna (Italy)
- M. Svaluto Moreolo, J. M. Fàbrega, S. Yan, B. R. Rofoee, Y. Yan, E. Hugues-Salas, Y. Shu, G. Zervas, D. Simeonidou, K. Kitayama, M. Nishihara, T. Tanaka, T. Takahara, J. C. Rasmussen, L. Fernandez del Rosal, M. Schlosser, A. Macho Ortiz, V. López, J. P. Fernández-Palacios, "Flexible Optical Infrastructure for Ethernet Transport: Solutions and Enabling Technologies in the ICT STRAUSS Project", in Proc. European Conference on Networks and Communications (EUCNC), June 23-26 2014, Bologna (Italy)
The second issue of the newsletter of the STRAUSS project has been released. In this issue you will find articles on:
- What's going on in STRAUSS?
- Main Achievements in the first year of the project
- STRAUSS participation int he Future Internet Assembly (FIA)
- STRAUSS Live Demonstrations:
- SDN-enabled colorless directionless ROADM network
- 400GbE Transceiver by Optical DMT
- OpenFlow-based OPS/OCS Unified Control Plane
- OFC 2014 highlights
- Technical article: What is an sliceable bandwidth variable transponder
We hope you will enjoy it!